Thursday 10 October 2013

bathroom makeover part 1


I've been working on my bathroom.

It's an odd shape, because it has a diagonal wall in one corner, where a fireplace would originally have been. The fireplace was taken out at some stage to make way for a sink (fortunately I still have the original cast iron fire surrounds in the two bedrooms).

 
When I originally bought this house, the sink was yellow like the bath. We got a plumber in to change the taps and he broke the sink, so we had to replace it. Costly but fortunate because the yellow sink was a really ugly shape.
 
I took down the soap ball and gave it to my boss - it looks way better in the café toilets. My brother moved the lower shelf up, because I want to put some tongue and groove round the walls.
 

I took the candles sconces from the landing and put them either side of the mirror, and I really like the new arrangement.

 
I painted the items that I showed you before, the mirror and the letters.

 
The mirror has great ridges and so distressed really well.


I hung it over the bath with a cabinet that used to be in my hall.


I may or may not hang a basket underneath the cabinet (hence the screws), depending on the panelling I do.

 
I painted the letters grey, using a matchpot I had. Then I used a water based varnish to protect them, before roughly painting them white and distressing them with a damp cloth.
 

I originally envisaged them on the opposite wall, but they look better here, and I enjoy seeing this view as I walk up the stairs and into the bathroom.

 
As you can see, I have a bit of filling and painting to do, then there's the panelling, more painting, the chair, the window, the this, the that and the other.....................................
 

linking up with.........
Silver Pennies Sundays Link Party @ Silver Pennies
 
 

18 comments:

  1. Fiona I love that mirror and the distressed cabinet next to it. As for the letters they're looking great too! Keep up the good work girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I hear you! It never ends once you start a project. Your bath is looking lovely with your pretty mirror sconces and the round mirror and wall cabinet you hung. Tongue and groove paneling will really dress up the space, too. Have you thought of having your tub refinished in white? The finish is terrible on our old tub and I'd like to have it resurfaced. I've talked to people who've had it done and they seem happy with it. Just a thought. Anyway, it's looking good, Fiona!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, it already looks good! I love the mirror and the letters. Can't wait to see it with the paneling in place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's looking great. I love the way the mirror turned out. I can't wait to see it when it is all done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the letters, now get back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny when a bad thing (breaking the sink) turns to a good thing. I love how everything is coming together. You make me want to do some cabinet updating in my bath.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fiona,

    A lovely, bright and beautifully redecorated space! I LOVE the pretty pastel tiles, so cheery, especially when seen first thing in the morning! The mirror makeover is magnificent! Great job!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know it never ends!! But I love your updates and those sconces next to the mirror are gorgeous! So are the letters! Nice job girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the mirrored sconces on either side of the mirror. Cabinet, shelves and letters are such a great match together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the shape of your sink so much... It makes me think the worst of my own GREEN sink!!! The mirrors are lovely and must play with the light nicely. I love also that little cabinet above your bathtub.

    ReplyDelete
  11. your bath will be so pretty, fiona. love that mirror in white! sweet cabinet, pedestal sink and LOVE the painted letters! the paneling with add great interest and will add so much charm , too! happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your sink and especially love the BATHE sign. Really cute!!

    I am your newest follower.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  13. So far the additions are looking great and I'm anxious to see all the other details to come. Love the big letters!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the work on those letters. I have similar letters in a black but I really prefer them painted. Looks like a fun project Fiona.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love all the painted pieces in your bathroom. It is coming along great! Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your new pretty touches have really made the room looks so beautiful and cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooooo! It's looking really good. The tongue-n-grove will look wonderful. I LOVE your house and its character!

    ReplyDelete

It's always a pleasure to receive your comments. I really enjoy reading them, and a huge thank you if you are following as well !