Wednesday 1 February 2012

a tale of two lamps

When I found this lamp for our sideboard, I was sooo pleased. It was my birthday and I had just finished a couple of rooms for some clients and I was feeling flush (having more money than normal !).


When I got the lamp home my pleasure dulled somewhat, because it didn't look as great as I thought it would. Although I still liked the lamp, it didn't really work for me. The shade wasn't nearly as nice lit up and the eclectic look I was going for  just wasn't there.


Even though I could have taken the fabric off and maybe re-covered it in purple ( the colour my phone turns it), the base still bothered me.
On my beach junk post here I mentioned that I had a little idea for all the driftwood. Well, I have been working on it over the last few days, when I wasn't drilling or sawing or generally being noisy.

And I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. I started with this -
an old Ikea lamp



And made, this -


A driftwood lampbase !

I feel it goes so much better with the Beatles poster, and I just love it. I had a budget of £10 for the shade and I found one in our town in the last shop I looked in, and it's just the right mix of rustic and contemporary.



I stuck the base onto some driftwood first, because it was a little short. I put a piece of hardboard underneath and nailed through a couple of pieces to give it some stability. Then I just kept adding pieces, while trying to give it some movement.


You can see lots of glue here !
and some below (I got a nice blister on this project!).



I just kept adding pieces, so that it worked with the wide lampshade.



I even made sure the back was ok, just in case it ever gets put somewhere where it is seen from all sides (that would probably mean a larger house - one can but dream !).


To me, the whole sideboard looks alot better and is MY version of eclecticism
(I like to analyze stuff, so this is just my own point of view !!!)
Something old - something new !
 funky (Beatles poster) -  shabby (frame)
rustic (driftwood) and contemporary (shade)
antique (books - well not quite, but very sentimental) and chic (ceramic buddha)
soft (dried eucalyptus) and hard (glass vase)
and of course - add a little sparkle (mercury glass)


This little mantra is what I'm using to try and bring the same feel to the rest of the house. My dear old geezer is definately into the funky and contemporary, so I need to have a bit of something for the both of us.




Before


After


And one day, the sideboard will be painted a blue/grey and distressed heavily.
The other lamp - well it looks very pretty in my tiny office/studio, and I have
a plan for the shade, to pretty it up even more.

Linking up with
Wow Us Wednesdays @ Savvy Southern Style
Primp Your Stuff Wednesdays @ {Primp}
Open House Party @ No Minimalist Here
Transformation Thursdays @ The Shabby Creek Cottage
Under $100 Linky Party @ Beyond The Picket Fence
Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage
Inspiration Friday @ At the Picket Fence
Fridays Unfolded @ Stuff and Nonsense
Pot Pourri Friday @ 2805
Home Sweet Home @ The Charm of Home
Vintage Inspiration Friday @ Common Ground
Saturday Nite Special @ funky junk interiors
Debbiedoos Newbie Party @ Debbiedoos
Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch

32 comments:

  1. Wow the finished product looks great. This is so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I like the texture and rustic nature of the driftwood lamp. When do you sleep?

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the lamp! And thank you for the sweet comment on this newbie's blog and for becoming a follower! I will definitely think about linking to Debbiedoos' Newbie party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your lamp! I am collecting driftwood now too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what pretty pieces of driftwood- i tend to find ugly ones :) cute lamp!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! I love this..what a wonderful transformation. Thanks for sharing at the Open House Party. Hugs, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, your lamp is so beautiful, fiona! so much more interesting! i just saw a round mirror with the frame done in the same way--$280!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG that is seriously gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. Cheers SpecialK XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Fiona, I love how you designed this lamp -- I want to make one now.
    dawnedesign.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! Your after is gorgeous, nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super cool, Fiona! It looks fantastic! Thank you for sharing this wonderful project at Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is totally unreal. How creative. I love it. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fiona it turned out great! Love it! The twilight lamp finally turned into white and gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. P.S.: loooooooove your favicon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, wow! What can I say? It's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is just fantastic!!! I will try this for sure. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That lamp is amazing! I can't believe that it's DIY. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Isn't it funny when things don't quite live up to your expectations when you bring them home. I find this is often the case with lamps... something to do with the colour of the shade, the light distribution, the overall impact. Anyway, I LOVE the driftwood lamp - what a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your new/old lamp is wonderful! Now I have an idea for that driftwood we picked up last fall!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sooooo clever! I saw something very similar in Domayne for $400! It looks great!
    x KL

    ReplyDelete
  21. hi Foina ... great job on the lamp ... so interesting. Spent a lot of time looking at "your work" ... you are one talented lady.
    Needing to remove wall paper and paint so was interested the color-washed walls. Not sure how that is done, but I have color-washed furniture.Thanks for stopping by Timeless Treasures and leaving a nice comment. Blessings. Audrey Z. http://audreyzumwalt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. You did it again! It's getting embarrassing that I love ALL your projects. As soon as the weather warms, I'm scouring the riverbank for driftwood! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is amazing! How very cool and rustic looking. Thanks so much for sharing with my newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  24. How talented are you?! It looks beautiful! so original. I don´t think I have ever seen a lamp like that one!
    This goes straight to my diy folder......

    www.tatianadoria.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fantastic!! Sharing at tonights party~ thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  26. your lamp looks fantastic!! have thought of doing something similar, you've inspired me to give it a go.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  27. I absolutely LOVE this! I have quite the infatuation with driftwood. Luckily I have unlimited access to it...so happy to find you and be your newest follower!
    I've recently made many a sign out of driftwood and some Christmas trees that I happen to love, it would be cool if you want to check them out and follow me back!
    Karah

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fiona, this is Wonderful! I have to get to a beach and get me some driftwood. I'm a new follower now.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fiona...it figures! You always manage to take something that is okay, even pretty for some, and morph into something magnificent for you!! I'm sure your blister was worth the beautiful transformation!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete

It's always a pleasure to receive your comments. I really enjoy reading them, and a huge thank you if you are following as well !